Students from select countries will be able to fly with student discount fares with British Airways to the UK and the rest of Europe.
Undoubtedly students are in a category of travellers who are time rich but cash poor, so discounts do go a long way to breed brand loyalty.
Unfortunately, though, BA seems to be only targeting Hong Kong, Singapore (via travel agents) and India in their latest promotional scheme, but unlike other airlines, the promotion is open across their flight network to the UK, its isles and mainland Europe.
Although this isn’t anything new, international neighbour KLM has their own student programme, other Oneworld partners Cathay Pacific has their own programme operating from competing locations, and a whole host of other airlines have global programs that reach further and are worth checking out.
In fact, this is one of the weaker options in terms of student fares, and is exceptionally limited, being just a step up over what Qantas offers for students going to Australia and New Zealand.
What’s On Offer With BA’s Student Discount Programme
With British Airways, you get:
- up to 10% off in our World Traveller Plus (Premium Economy) and World Traveller (Economy) cabins.
- 46Kg’s of checked luggage – while the number sounds impressive, it’s just 2 checked bags at 23Kg each and in Premium Economy it’s exactly 0 bags more as 2 checked bags is standard.
While this is what you get today, it is worth checking around and seeing what is on offer with other airlines and what is available at the time.
The main terms of the programme are as followed:
- All fares are exclusive of taxes, fees and fuel surcharges.
- Proof of age and valid student identity are required at the time of ticketing.
- Ticket validity: 12 months.
- Travel to the UK and European destinations are via London. London stopover is allowed.
- Double baggage allowance is applicable on British Airways flights only.
- These fares are subject to change without prior notice.
- This offer is available for students under the age of 35. Passenger availing this offer should hold a valid student visa to the UK.
- Tickets must originate and be issued in Hong Kong, Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai and Hyderabad
- The offer is not valid on redemption bookings against miles, Part Cash Part Avios and for unaccompanied minors.
- Other Terms and Conditions apply.
With the main terms, there is nothing exciting about them. If you have an ISIC card, and starting your trip in Asia, then Cathay Pacific, Singapore Airlines and even Malaysia Airlines are competitive alternative options and (with the exception of SQ) earn awards into your Oneworld Programme.